Search all of DEQ Main Menu Utah Department of Environmental Quality

Alternative Fuel Grant Program Application

Conversion to Alternative Fuel Grant Program

The Conversion to Alternative Fuel Grant Program allows businesses that convert vehicles originally manufactured to run on gasoline or diesel to run on natural gas, propane, or electricity to apply for a grant of up to $2,500 per conversion. The conversion business is then required to pass along the savings to the owner of the eligible vehicle being converted.

There are two steps in the process of obtaining a grant.

Step 1: Preliminary Approval Application

The Preliminary Approval Application process will determine if the proposed project is eligible for an Alternative Fuel Grant and if there are adequate funds for the proposed conversion. All applicants must obtain preliminary approval. To obtain preliminary approval, one of the following applications for the alternative fuel must be submitted:

After submitting the Preliminary Application, the applicant will receive an email that will indicate the status of the application. If the Preliminary Application is approved, the applicant will have up to 60 calendar days from the date of the email to submit a complete Final Approval Application. If the Final Approval Application is not received within the 60 calendar days, the funding may no longer be available for the conversion.

Step 2: Final Approval and Payment Process

Once the vehicle has been converted, the applicant must complete the Final Approval Application (see below) and submit all the required documentation for the appropriate conversion. The final invoice must include a receipt signed by the vehicle owner that includes the itemized costs and demonstrates that the grant has been passed on to the vehicle owner.

A check will be issued to the applicant after the Final Application is reviewed and approved by UDAQ.

For further information regarding the Conversion to Alternative Fuel Grant Program, please click on the links below:

If you have any questions, please contact Mat Carlile at (385) 306-6535